Sunday, September 27, 2015

Embrace your fear

Had a blast doing a yoga photo shoot in the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison, Wi this afternoon.

Some recent health concerns have made me sad, withdrawn and feeling helpless, so I haven't been on the mat much. I used to turn to yoga when I needed a boost in my energy and confidence levels, but lately it's been hard for me to practice because I haven't felt genuinely myself, and I felt that darkness would invade my presence, even on my mat. So I stayed away, hoping to protect that sacred space and save it for a time when I could be reflective and truly embrace it and make myself powerful again.

This past week, I took a yoga class with a room full of strangers and tried to imagine what I'd want if I could completely reinvent myself. The yoga teacher's message to all of us was "embrace your fear." She shared a personal story of the fears she had about her 23 year marriage, and openly cried in front of us. I ran up and wrapped my arms around her and gave her a hug and thanked her for sharing her vulnerability, and at the same time, her strength. I am constantly relearning how to be brave, how to be open with myself and others, and to embrace the things I fear and dread, knowing I cannot allow them to define me.

So today, I finally got back on my mat, and dedicated my practice, and the resulting photos, to the strength I know I have, and the strength yet to be realized after I fully embrace my fears.

#exaltedwarrior #yoga #yogaeverydamnday

No comments:

Post a Comment